Wednesday, June 15, 2011

School Daze

 This was a part of the program where we all had to get casted to get moulds of our face. I just discovered what it felt to feel claustrophobia. You only had a little hole to breathe out of. You're not seeing it but a classmate was holding my hand.


These were our teachers Mr. Celaya and Danny. Look at that nose peeking out. After the  plaster is applied and set it is taken off and a mixture is poured in to cast the impression and then placed in a convection oven to be baked. When that is done it would be our responsibility to pry the cast of baked cement out and start working.


It's just like a great facial because all the properties are natural, this is what we call an algae cast.

I know it might appear as if I have no ability to breathe but I do, there's a tiny hole there, somewhere.

After the jump check out what the mould looks like.




This is what it looks like when it comes out. This is my classmate's mold, and so I am cleaning up the edges to prepare to sculpt the image I want for my final project. 
Hard at work scraping and rubbing it down.


This is the first phase where we apply the base and start to sculpt.



The small lines you see are created to give the animal a more natural life like look. When the foam is applied it will create an impression and from that I would be able to add more color and dimension to the character I am creating.


My final piece! Maybe I have a thing for lions. Note you see the lines in the face where colour was added. If impressions were not created the character would have a more mask like effect which is totally the opposite of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...